Thursday, November 15, 2007

ABC's of being Nauti, or, a tutorial on Alcohol Ink painting and tinting.

Materials Needed:
A computer
Printer with a black ink cartridge
A photo or graphic retouching program like Adobe Photoshop
A jpg or scan of a picture you want to use in this project.
1 piece high gloss photo paper
1 piece lightweight (flimsy) white vellum
Q-Tips
Adirondack/Tim Holtz Alcohol Inks, various colors of your liking.
A craft mat is useful (especially for larger photos or clutzy painters!)
A painter's palette with paint wells, or a small plastic measuring cup
for mixing alcohol inks (useful, but not necessary).


1) I decide on a picture I like. In a program such as Adobe Photoshop or any picture/photo processing program, I completely desaturate the photo, turning it into a black and white picture. I also lighten the contrast and increase the brightness slightly, as the lighter the printed picture, the more color you'll see after it's colored with alcohol inks. But if you go too light, you'll lose definition. (Please see the black and white picture of the nautilus in my photo album, to get an idea of the lightness.) Then I resize the photo to the desired size and resolution. (I use a resolution of 72 pixels per inch (web quality), and a pre-measured size suitable for the frame I'll be using).

For my projects I've been using Kodak Inkjet Photo Paper. But when using any brand, the higher the gloss, the better. On the printer settings, use the 'glossy paper' or 'transparency' setting located in your printer properties. Print one copy of the picture on the high gloss photo paper.

Next, I change the brightness setting in my printer properties to 'light'. This uses not only uses less ink and decreases smearing, but makes the next copy just a tad lighter, which is good for effect. Print your black and white picture on a piece of light translucent vellum.

(For the nautilus, I used a piece of white iridescent speckled 'Neutral Vellum' by Paperbilities. The flimsier and 'clearer', the better, as it will allow more color to come through. Colored vellum does not seem to work very well for this project, so I try to stick to the white vellum.)

Let both copies dry. Once they are dry, I apply Adirondack/Tim Holtz Alcohol Inks with a Q-tip to the photo paper copy only! I like using Q-tips for this because there is relatively little ink waste, they are effective, low-mess, no lint, cheap, and disposable once my project is finished. To make my own colors, hues and saturations, I use a 15ml (.5 Fluid Oz) measuring cup, add a little blending solution and drops of AI to suit my whim.

(the measuring cups I use are extremely handy with various crafts, and can be obtained from suppliers of DIY skin care products. Follow the link for an example:
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/equipment/thumbnails.asp?category=EQDisp
You will also see other nifty things to have in your craft room, like pipettes, funnels or larger mixing/measuring cups.)

I 'paint' all areas I wish to show up colorful, and I do not worry about being precise or staying exactly in the lines. The vellum you will put on top later, diffuses light and because of this, is somewhat forgiving. Also, the more you go over any area with AI, the colors will layer and darken; so you want to remain mindful of the colors you layer together, that they will change hue and darken considerably.

Once you have 'painted' your photo, and the AI has dried, take your black and white vellum copy, and lay it on top of the photo copy. The copies should exactly match each other in picture and placement, once you line up the edges. To trim, I tack the edges of the 2 layers together with a small bit of tape, and carefully cut with a paper cutter (or scissors) to the final size of my project. (To place in a frame, use on a card, etc.)

I hope this helps! But if I was unclear on anything, or if anyone reading this should have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! Also, should you want to see pictures of the project I just described, refer to my previous post. Thank you!

No comments: