Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Flowerpress and Inks

This was a really fun project, though
it took some time, special equipment and preparation.
All told, I'd say it takes 2 seasons to make,
if you wait for the flowers to grow.
:)


This is a really neat piece of art I made using a 4" x 6" double sided frame, flowers pressed in a Microfleur Flower Press, Tim Holtz/Adirondack Alcohol Inks, a transparency, an ink jet printer and any graphic program like Adobe Photoshop. I'd also consider using your favorite stamps with Stazon ink, if you'd prefer not to mess with computer graphics or printing. I made a scan of my favorite french text design, then printed it onto an 8.5" x 11" transparency. Once the ink dried, I cut a piece to fit inside the glass of the frame I'm using. Careful not to get fingerprints on it! Using long handled tweezers, I first arrange the flowers I will use on the transparency, to have the composition and placement figured out before I glue anything. Then I very carefully apply Scotch Quick-Dry Tacky Adhesive to the dried flowers, one by one, and place them back in their place on the transparency.

I grew some of the flowers in my patio garden, or came across them on one of my many summer night walks. There's nothing like the thrill of Lilac Larceny or Grand Theft Pansy to get the adrenaline flowing! (Just kidding! Always ask permission before picking someone else's flowers!) The flowers were pressed during last spring and summer, and I keep a file drawer full of dried flowers to use in my art whenever I please. (pressed flowers make me smile on cold Winter days!)

Next, I removed and cleaned the glass panels of the frame thoroughly, and avoided getting fingerprints on them during the next phase, by handling them around the edges (but careful not to cut yourself!!) On one of the glass panels, I used Tim Holtz/Adirondack Alcohol Inks in Lettuce, Stream, Wild Plum and Stonewashed. I kept the brighter colors to the outside, while using Stonewashed in the middle. You only need to paint one side of the glass with ink. Once you are pleased with your inking and it has dried, place your flowered transparency on top of the inked side, (So that the ink will be on the inside of the frame) and place the second panel of glass on top of the transparency. Slide the glass CAREFULLY into the frame. I do not suggest using any flower or fiber thicker than pressed lavender for this project, otherwise the glass won't fit back into the frame, or it might break if forced too much due to thickness.

In the two projects I've made so far, I used Flox, Lilacs, Lobelia, Dogwood, Bleeding Hearts, Lavender, several smaller unidentified flowers, and assorted greenery. If you love flowers, and like to embellish projects with natural fibers, I highly suggest looking into a Microfleur Flower Press. It is quick, easy and fun to use!

1 comment:

Shirley said...

Beautiful! You really inspire!