Saturday, December 8, 2007

Cutting corners

I really love art, and live for my crafting. Unfortunately, I usually can't afford to just go out and purchase any ol' tool or craft embellishment at my whim. Necessity being the mother of invention, I often find ways to 'cut corners'. Here's my first post describing a couple ways I've found to cut those corners. Literally. Substituting design elements or embellishments may not look nearly as fancy as a professionally designed product, and often takes more time to accomplish. But, I think the time and intention put into a project is every bit as special as something that looks uber fancy or nearly store bought. This might sound like I'm trying to justify being 'cheap', but fact is, poor thrifty people like to craft too.

First, a disclaimer: When at all possible, please invest in the proper and safe tools recommended by the pros for the tasks you want to do. I am sharing what I use to accomplish certain tasks or crafting effects, and should you decide to use my examples, you do so at your own risk and assume any and all responsibility for your own actions.

That said, let's get started! I recently made a 'bookmark card', and had to figure out a way to temporarily attach the book mark to the card, without adhesives, and despite the fact I don't have photo corners to use on them.

(in the card tutorial, I cut right into the card itself.) But in this example, I cut out a contrasting base paper slightly smaller than one half of the card I'll glue it to. I then position the bookmark on it at a pleasing angle. Then I used a fine tip black pen to mark points on that paper. Imagine drawing a diagonal line across a corner of the bookmark, at least the size and depth a photo corner would be. Draw a little dot to mark the very edge of the bookmark, along that imaginary diagonal line.
I don't need to be exact or measure it, but I try to keep the dots in approximately the same depth and length on each corner. For extra stability, I also marked 2 dots on the left and right sides of the bookmark, to make small rounded tabs.

Click the pic to see an example of the dots.
I remove the bookmark,
and using a craft knife on a cutting mat or other surface safe for cutting, I make straight incisions from dot to diagonal dot, at all four corners. I should then have 4 slits that the corners of my bookmark will slide into. Next, I carefully cut a half circle incision, that points to the center, on both the right and left sides, using the dots I marked for these tabs. Please see the first photo for reference.
When I have all my incisions made, I gently separate each incision, and slide my bookmark into the slots.
Here's a hint: Substitute the word 'bookmark' for photo, card, or design element.


















This is another corner I cut: I do not have a proper paper distressing tool, though I have every intention of buying one as soon as I can. Until then, I use the sharp edge of my craft knife to distress/age the edges of my card stock.

I grasp my card stock firmly, at an upper corner, and carefully drag the sharp edge of my craft knife down the edge/side of the paper. It may take several passes to get the effect I want. I like making small scrapes, sometimes back and forth to rough up the fibers. This method isn't without it's challenges. If I press too hard, I could accidentally cut or tear the paper. But I've found this issue to usually make the paper look even more interesting. Tip: if my card stock is bending up or down, I am pressing too hard. I like to take my time and be safe.

I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial, and as I come across more ways to cut corners, you'll be the first I share them with.
Inspiration to you!

No comments: