Friday, December 7, 2007

Tribal Leftovers

I've been working so hard to get my cards and various gifts made, that I'd been neglecting tutorials I've had in the works! While I am still nowhere near finished with my holiday rush, I just have to take time out to share what I've done with left over rubber from mounting rubber stamps. A couple months ago, I started buying my first Stampin' Up unmounted stamp sets on Ebay. The rush I got from assembling my own stamps was awesome! But my goodness, there was so much waste! I sat there, my cogs turning, wondering if there were other applications for these rubber 'leftovers'. And it came to me: I would cut them down to various sized blocks, and save them for later.

At first I had the idea of making my own tile background for stamping. I got out one of my huge wood stamps that I knew I'd never sell, and started fitting and mounting the leftovers together on the top of the stamp, to form a pleasing pattern. I then put it away until last week. A friend of mine decorates his home in 'tribal' design. So I went on the internet, and drew inspiration from some very lovely examples of African tribal art to make something unique for him. That's when the gears finally fell in place, and I had a use for the leftover rubber! Not only that, I found some very creative uses for other items in my crafting supplies.

As you see, I used a handful of supplies to make the stamped picture. I made a small rectangle stamp using a piece of the leftover rubber. I simply peeled it up off the large stamp I'd made, and stuck it to the 'top' edge of another wood stamp in my collection. For ink, I used Opaque Stazon in Cotton White, on the black paperboard background that came with this 16x20" frame. Working from the outside to the center, (stamping from top to bottom) I used a long ruler to butt the bottom of the stamp against to keep my patterns even, as I worked one stripe at a time, from top to bottom.


To make specific patterns for this tribal look, I used the 'I' and the 'O' letters of the Jive alphabet by Stamp Craft. You can see their respective patterns just under the 'I' stamp, and to the left of the 'O' stamp. I also used a stamp from the Stampin' Up set 'Artifacts'.







I then took a foam stamp I bought at Walmart many moons ago, and I cut it down to get abstract line patterns. (See the deep red, Oriental foam stamp? The round center stamp is what it looked like before I release the tribal patterns from it. You will see remnants of the actual foam stamp I cut up with a craft knife to the top, bottom, and very left if it. Notice the pattern right under the very left stamp for which it was used? Cool, huh?)



:::This is the final product! Isn't that just cool looking? I made a monogram in the middle to match my friend's name. For the overall pattern, I used 4 various sizes and shapes of leftover rubber, 2 quirky alphabet stamps, 1 cut up foam stamp I hadn't otherwise used in 4 years.

While I was making this, I also realized the design potential for this technique to be EASILY modified to look like tire tracks. I thought of it, because this also fits my friend, as he rides a motorcycle. See, wherever you take this technique, the point to this tutorial and a great tip is to think twice before you throw those scraps away!!

Before I go, I want to share with you another blog that I found to be absolutely fantastic, that has a tutorial similar to this one. While I stayed blocky, she took her leftover rubber to a whole new level. Please check it out for more ideas on what to do with those scraps!

2 comments:

SmilynStef said...

How absolutely fabulous ... now you've got my brain turning ... love what you created.

Heather said...

Tire tracks? I never would have thought to fashion those from rubber scraps. Great idea!