Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Where the dominos grow
















I've been playing with dominoes the past 2 days. I've made a bunch that I really like, but the set I'm posting tonight are painted with Tim Holtz Alcohol Ink, then hand painted with acrylic. I really like the way they've turned out! But in doing these, I ran into something curious: if you paint acrylic over the alcohol ink, let the paint dry a bit then rub the acrylic off with a paper towel and water, the acrylic will pull up a bit of the alcohol ink, in exactly the pattern that had been painted. Look closely at this last picture, an enlarged view of 'Irises':
Notice the lighter swirls? I originally painted a swirl pattern, but wasn't satisfied with it. So, I took the acrylic off with water, and found what was left to be really pretty.

2 comments:

Shirley said...

These are just stunning. I would even love them on a card! Great art.

cabbie lopez said...

these are so lovely!